December is Safe Toys and Gifts Month
This Month's Health Tip:
Recipe for Healthier Eggnog
Replacing cream with evaporaed skim milk and eggs with egg substitutes cuts the fat by roughly 90% and the calories by about half per serving. Egg substitutes, which are pasteurized, are also a safer alternative to raw eggs.
- 1 1/2 cups egg substitute (equivalent of 6 eggs)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmet
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2 cups low-fat or skim milk
Refrigerate liquids in advance. Beat the egg substitute for 2 or 3 minutes with an electric mixer at medium speed until very frothy. Gradually beat in the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Stir in the milk by hand. Chill before serving. Let guests add their own rum or brandy or a sprinkle of nutmeg, if desired. Yield: About six cups.
Source: Consumer Reports onhealth Vol. 14 No. 12
December is also:
National Drunk and Drugged Driving Prevention Month
December Anniversaries and Milestones:
Happy Birthday to:
- 12 - Nadeemafridi
- 25 - Deb (aka Twiggy) quit smoking - 4 years! Congratulations Deb!
Our Staff Recommendations:
Motivation in the Cold?
Do you lose your motivation to exercise when the short, cold days come along? Here's a few ideas to keep you going.
Do you prefer a large serving of a low-fat food, or a small serving of a hi-fat food?
- I always prefer a small serving of the hi-fat food
- I usually prefer the smaller serving of the hi-fat food, but not for some foods
- I'm 50/50 on it, depends on the food or my mood
- I usually prefer the larger serving of a low-fat food
- I always go for bigger portions of lower fat food
- Small serving? Of something I like? You must be delusional!
Cast your vote!
Do you have suggestions for our newsletter? A particular Journal entry that moved you? Something in a buddy journal that warmed your heart? Send your suggestions to email@example.com
Subscribe to our FREE Newsletter!
Stay informed! We'll send you monthly updates - new health information as well as new and interesting discussions in our message board. And best of all: NO ADVERTISEMENTS!!!
Privacy statement: Plain and simple - we won't give out your email address to anybody. Period. End of story. Even if they offer us big bucks. You are important to us, and so is your wellbeing. We hate SPAM! And we will not add to the proliferation of SPAM.
Copyright © 1998-2002 SLM & Healthy Living
All Rights Reserved
Back to Top
Message Board |
About Us |
Health Issues |
Member Photo Gallery |
Our Stories |
Recommended Software |
Weight Maintenance |
Site Map |